By Cody Roberts, CRCM
A bank compliance officer hears many things in the bank–many of which contain expletives. In this role, there are a few things you almost never hear (but wish you did).
- Loan officers asking you for a regulatory clarification on “creative financing” prior to closing.
- Employees thanking you for training on the new law that will completely change their roles in the bank.
- A board member thanks you for protecting the bank from regulatory criticism and/or penalties.
- The bank president tells you that since you have so many hats to wear, they are “giving this one” to someone else.
- Marketing wants you to sit in on their planning sessions to help them make sure they stay compliant before the big product roll-out.
- I love BSA! (may substitute TRID or HMDA for BSA)
- Anything I can do to help with the exam?
- Let’s shoot for a “1” on our next compliance exam.
- I filled out the hold form just like you said to.
- I wish I had your job!
- What an interesting acronym—what does it mean?
- Good news, we’re increasing your budget, so go out and buy all the compliance software you need.
- I understand.
- I don’t understand.
And last but not least: Due to your hard work, you’re getting a raise!
ABS is here to assist with your compliance needs! Contact us at (405) 607-7000.